Solicitors Gearoid Williams and Aisling Glynn have successfully completed the Certificate in Decision-Making Capacity & Supported as organised by the Law Society of Ireland.
This Certificate was introduced for practitioners following the signing into law of the Assisted Decision-Making (Capacity) Act 2015. The Act 2015 marks a significant development in recognising the legal rights of all persons regardless of disability and deals with the provision of adequate supports to assist people whose decision-making capacity is in question or may shortly be in question.
– Presumption of decision making capacity unless the contrary is shown.
– Decision making supports.
– Abolition of Wards of Court system and the replacement of that system with the Office of the Public Guardian.
– New regime regarding Enduring Powers of Attorney, including provision for healthcare decisions.
– Provision of the framework for Advance Healthcare Directives.
– Dealing with elderly and vulnerable clients