Updated Covid-19 regulations as at 5th July 2021


SI 329/2021. These Regulations amend the Health Act 1947 (Section 31A – Temporary Restrictions) (Covid-19) (No. 2) Regulations 2021 (S.L No, 217 of 2021) to make amendments to the list of “Scheduled Events”, and to provide for increases in the numbers permitted to attend wedding receptions and at outdoor relevant events. These Regulations also provide that there shall be no limit on the numbers of people who may visit together once they are all fully protected by vaccination or have had COVID-19 infection in the previous nine months.

To Transfer Now or Will my Property?

We often get asked by clients, is it better to transfer their property now or wait until they die and deal with their property in their Will.  The following is a brief summary of the tax implications of transferring now or leaving the property in a Will.

If the property that is to be transferred consists of agricultural land, is the person who intends transferring the property over 55 and have they farmed the lands for 10 years, if so, they may qualify for retirement relief and may not have to pay Capital Gains Tax.  If the person to whom they intend transferring the lands is under 35 years of age, has obtained the necessary agricultural qualification, has submitted a business plan to Teagasc and will be head of the farming holding they may qualify for what is called the Young Trained Farmer relief and will not have to pay Stamp duty.  Stamp duty is usually 7.5% on the value of the property being transferred.  If the person to whom the property is being transferred avails of this relief they will be agreeing to spending 50% of their working hours on the farm and they must not sell the property for five years after attaining it, otherwise there will be a clawback of the stamp duty that would have been due.

If the person who is getting the lands is does not satisfy the conditions for the Young Trained Farmer relief they may qualify for what is called Consanguinity Relief, which reduces the stamp duty liability from 7.5% to 1% of the value of the property being transferred.  In order to qualify for Consanguinity Relief you must be related the person who is transferring the property and you must farm the land for at least 6 years OR lease it for a minimum of 6 years to someone who will farm it.  If you are farming it you must hold a specified qualification or obtain same within 4 years OR you must spend at least 50% of your time farming the land.

Stamp duty is only payable on transfers of the property during a person’s lifetime, it is not payable if the property is dealt with in a Will.

In relation Capital Acquisitions Tax, if a person transfers their property during their lifetime, the person they transfer it to will be liable to Capital Gift Tax and if they wait until after they die, the beneficiary pays Capital Inheritance Tax.  Both are currently charged at 33%.    Depending on the relationship between the person who transfers and the person who receives the property, there are threshold amounts which will apply.   Any property gifted or inherited over the value of the threshold amount is taxed at 33%.

Currently there are three threshold categories;

Category A – a child/foster child/minor child of a deceased child – €335.000.00

Category B – brother/sister/niece/nephew                                    – €32,500.00

Category C – all others                                                                 – €16,250


A person may wish to transfer their property to their next of kin now as, under the Fair Deal Scheme the amount a person will need to pay towards their nursing home care will depend on their income and their assets.   The more assets you own, the more of a contribution you will have to pay.   If a person has assets (lands or dwelling house) they must pay 7.5% (3.75% if part of a couple) of the value of the assets.   The HSE do not take into account any transfers of a person’s lands or dwelling house more than five years before their application for the Fair Deal.

If you wish to discuss a transfer of your property please feel free to contact Gearoid, Ciara or myself by either telephoning 065 9051009 or emailing gwilliams@mcmahonwilliams.ie; ccomerford@mcmahonwilliams.ieskenny@mcmahonwilliams.ie.


Sinéad Kenny

9th June, 2021

CHALLENGING TIMES – We are here to help.

At McMahon & Williams we, like everyone else, are getting used to living through this Pandemic.  Things are a little different in our office now, with the introduction of social distancing measures.   We are glad to say that we are continuing to meet our clients, but by appointment only.  With the new guidelines in relation to the wearing of masks, we are asking all of our clients and visitors to the office to please wear a mask, this is to protect you and our staff.    We are doing our utmost to ensure that our clients and staff feel safe and protected.

Since the pandemic started, we have noted an increase in clients wishing to make a Will or also, which can be more important, updating their Wills.  We have also noted an increase in clients making Enduring Powers of Attorney.   An Enduring Power of Attorney allows a person to make arrangements for how their affairs will be managed should they become mentally incapacitated, as a result of illness or an accident.    The person making the Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA) can nominate either one or two people, whom they trust, to make decisions on their behalf in relation to their day to day living and assets.      Having an EPA completed gives a person peace of mind that should they not be in a position to deal with their affairs in the future they know that they have trusted individuals who will do so on their behalf.

Further information in relation to Enduring Powers of Attorney can be found here Enduring Powers of Attorney or if you have any queries or for the making of a Will please do not hesitate to contact us on 065 9051009 or info@mcmahonwilliams.ie.